Albertus Blog

Albertus Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

Founder's Day 2012

What a busy week it was!! I felt like my whole week was consumed by classes, meetings, work, and homework! Yesterday was Friday, September 21st, the first annual Founder’s Day at Albertus Magnus College.  Being on Student Government as the Senior Events Coordinator and the senior class representative, I had to “host” the annual candlelight ceremony.  Candlelight Ceremony is an event held every single year since the College was founded in 1925.  It is essentially the senior students passing on the light of truth and knowledge to the freshmen.  The event took place in the Tagliatela Academic Center.  Chairs were lined up for the freshmen and as they came in they received a candle.  Sister Helen Kieran, Director of Campus Ministries lead us in prayer, followed by President Julia McNamara making a speech.  Matthew Brancaccio, Student Body President made a speech as well about his experience during his candlelight ceremony.  Sister Margaret Ormond, OP, Prioress of the Dominican Sisters of Peace was able to join us as well.  Dr. Sean O’Connell made a speech as well about the Tradition of Honor and how important it is to uphold it.  The Tradition of Honor essentially states that all the work you complete is your own.  I had to make a speech and introduce each speaker- to say I was nervous is an understatement.  I was petrified!  I am not fond of public speaking at all so to have to get up in front of 100+ people and speak was not easy for me.  I made it through and afterwards it was nice to have people come up to me and tell me that I did a good job.  During the candlelight ceremony, graduating seniors (class of 2013) lit the candles of the class of 2016.  The class of 2016 also signed the tradition of honor and received a red rose.  This tradition has been passed on from year to year since the founding days of the college and is the longest tradition still held in Albertus.
After the candlelight ceremony, 31 people were asked to give President Julia McNamara a white rose, marking 30 years of her serving as President and 1 extra rose for the year to come.  She didn’t know about us presenting her with these roses and she was very surprised.  It was nice to see how happy she was and how appreciative she is.  After this presentation, there was an all campus barbeque outside of Aquinas Hall.  Tables were set up and everyone was able to eat and socialize with each other.  I felt like this was nice to do because I was actually able to talk to some of my professors that I don’t normally get a chance to talk to outside of class as well as meet some new professors in other departments!  After the barbeque there was a presentation in Rosary Hall, the library, about Our Living Heritage.  As I was there, I noticed a lot of the Dominican Sisters of Peace as well as former alumni of the college there.  It just proved to me that you are truly an Albertus student even after you graduate.  So many people are passionate about Albertus even as alumni!
Overall it was a great day!  Hopefully Founder’s Day is a tradition that will continue throughout the years. Pictures from the Founder’s Day celebration can be found at the Albertus website.
 Below are 2 pictures- one of Sister Mary Faith Dargan during the presentation of the roses to Dr. McNamara and one of Matt Brancaccio and I in the Tagliatela Center before the Candlelight Ceremony started.


No comments:

Post a Comment