Albertus Blog

Albertus Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Madness is Over With

 
The most hatred time of year came and went in a flash for retail workers:  Black Friday.  I have been working at Abercrombie and Fitch in the Milford Post Mall for a year now and have survived two Black Fridays.  Last year, I had just started working at the store and they put me on fitting rooms from 12 am- 5 am.  It was horrible! Not only was I completely exhausted but people were so rude and left all of their items in the fitting room.  It's crazy to see how much I've changed in a year because now I'm not afraid to tell customers like it is.  I was really quiet last year, but this year I knew I couldn't let customers walk all over me.  I worked 9 am- 6 pm, so I had just missed the crazy mark of 50% off the entire store.  When I arrived, the entire store was 40% off and I was put on the register the whole time.  The store was so busy the whole day, but I survived!  I was happy to have my shift over and done with, and now I have time and a half to look forward to on my pay check :)

I can't deny though, me and my mom went out last night to Walmart in a spur of the moment.  We saw some things in the ad that we wanted and figured we would just stop by and see if they had what we wanted.  They didn't have a few items that we wanted, but it's OK because we got some other things.  I was sad to leave my mom- I was only able to stay home for 2 days because I have to be on duty tonight (Friday 11/23) for the mansions.  The campus is very quiet though- nearly everyone is home except for basketball players. 

If you are looking for a job in the area and you attend Albertus, it's convenient to get one.  Located in New Haven, we are close enough to Hamden, Downtown New Haven, and even Milford where the mall is.  You can hop on the Yale shuttle, or there are bus stops on the corners of school that you can get on and pay $1 to get where you need to go.  I know a lot of people here at Albertus that have local jobs and live out of state.  Some stores that people work at that attend here are my store, AnF, American Eagle, Kohls, Walmart, and Stop and Shop.  Stores are always looking for fresh, young people to work so getting a job locally is fairly easy.  Even if you live out of state, most jobs are flexible when telling them that you need to go back home.  Some jobs even allow you to transfer to stores near your home so you can keep your job.  If you don't want a job off campus, you can always get one on campus!  If you have financial need, you can be a part of the Federal Government funded Work Study Program.  Work Study allows you to have a job on campus and they pay you minimum wage ($8.25) per hour.  When you are put into the program, you receive a sheet that states what you're interested in.  You can work in the admissions office, the Act II Theater, Athletics, Financial Aid, Business office, Common Ground, Academic Dean's office or even the pub on campus.  They give you a certain amount of hours and you can only work up until all of these hours are used.  Being a part of this program is a great opportunity because you can have a job on campus and not have to go far!  If you apply to be in this program but aren't accepted- no worries there are other ways on campus to have a job.  One way is to be a student tour guide.  This is through the admission's office and you can pick and chose what tours you want to do.  Each tour such as a group tour or single family tour is a different amount of money to earn, so if you do a lot of tours you can get a lot of money which is always nice.  Also throughout the year, there are various special events such as Accepted Students Day and Open House that you can work at and you receive a great amount of money!  Another way to have a job on campus is to work in the Writing Center located in Rosary Hall.  In order to work in here, a professor needs to recommend you.  If you excel in your written expression courses, your professor could recommend you to work and you will have to go through training, but you can earn money by doing weekly appointments with students.

Overall, having a job while in college is rewarding.  Coming from someone that has two jobs, if I wasn't working, I don't know what I would be doing (maybe I'd actually have a life! hehe)  I think that being able to save money while in college is so important.  If you have to take out loans, it will always be nice to have a little money to fall back on or at least enough money to buy you necessities like groceries, going out, or other spending money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment