Albertus Blog

Albertus Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Internship Opportunities

Have you looked around for an internship with no luck?  Well that's me lately and it's discouraging!  For every job that I have been applying to after I graduate, it says that you need 1-2 years experience.  How am I supposed to find experience when no one will hire me?!  It's so frustrating, however I decided to use connections.  By using people you know, you never know what door will open for you.  I went from having zero options to having three!  I contacted a friend that I knew when I was a freshman at Albertus.  She was a senior and on SGA and I was close with her.  I haven't talked to her since freshman year, however she did an internship at Bill Miller's Castle located in Branford right after she graduated.  I know I want to go into event coordinating, so I figured I would give her a call and see if she could find me an internship opportunity.  It turned out that she was able to and also gave me some advice.  The next day, I received a call from the owner of Bill Miller's Castle and set up an interview for the next day!  I went to the interview, which was pretty casual and she showed me around the place.  It was cool to see what the castle looked like inside- it is typically used for weddings and other banquets.  I was offered the position, however I probably won't start until the summer.  I also heard about another internship opportunity through my advisor at school, Tim Raynor.  He sends out emails weekly about internship or job opportunities that have recently opened.  The third internship opportunity was sent to me through Stefanie Seslar who works in the alumni office.  Being on Student Alumni Association, Stefanie sent me the link to the internship via email.  The internship would allow me to work in the alumni office and learn about marketing and alumni relations.  It would be 100 hours to complete and it would be a paid internship which would be awesome to save up money for graduate school.  I feel like whatever decision I make, it will be for the bettering of myself.  Ultimately, I need to realize that I need to make myself happy.  Sometimes I feel as if I push myself too far, or do things just to please other people even if it is at the expense of my happiness.  I'm only 21 and I want to ensure that after graduation, I have something set up for myself. 

1 comment: